- 1 can of Petti Polpa a Pezzettoni chopped tomatoes (400g)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of Sparta Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper (adjust to your spice preference)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4-6 eggs
- Fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Crusty bread or pita, for serving
Calories per serving: Approximately 200 calories
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serving size: 2-3
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced onion and red bell pepper. Sauté until they become tender and lightly caramelized.
- Stir in the minced garlic, ground cumin, paprika, and ground cayenne pepper. Cook for an additional minute, allowing the spices to release their flavors.
- Pour in the can of Petti chopped tomatoes, along with their juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer the tomato mixture for about 10-15 minutes, until it thickens slightly.
- Create small wells in the tomato sauce and crack the eggs into each well. Cover the skillet and cook for about 5-7 minutes, or until the egg whites are set but the yolks are still slightly runny.
- Sprinkle the Sensational Shakshuka with fresh chopped parsley or cilantro for added freshness and vibrant flavor.
- Serve the Shakshuka hot with crusty bread or pita to soak up the delicious sauce.
- Shakshuka can be personalized with additional ingredients such as crumbled feta cheese, olives, or even cooked sausage or chorizo. Feel free to experiment!
- Don't forget to have some extra bread on hand for dipping into the flavourful tomato sauce.